Makes: 12 slices
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 250g self-raising flour
- 45ml (3 tbsp) cocoa powder
- 5ml (1 tsp) bicarbonate of soda
- 150g soft brown sugar
- 150g butter
- 200ml Diet Coke
- 150ml buttermilk
- 2 medium eggs
- 5ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
For the frosting:
- 100g plain chocolate (70% cocoa), broken into pieces
- 45ml (3 tbsp) Diet Coke
- 45ml (3 tbsp) buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Grease a 20.5cm loose-bottomed, spring release cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder and bicarbonate into a bowl. Stir in the sugar.
- Put the butter in a saucepan and melt over gentle heat. Add the Diet Coke to the butter and stir to mix, making sure mixture does not boil. Remove from the heat.
- Beat together the buttermilk, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Quickly whisk the cola mixture into the dry ingredients, then whisk in the buttermilk mixture. Mix gently but thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin. Bake for about 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for about 15 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack.
- To make frosting, place the chocolate and Diet Coke in a saucepan. Cook over a gentle heat, stirring until the chocolate has dissolved. Remove from the heat and stir in the buttermilk. Place the cake on a plate and spoon over the chocolate mixture. Allow to set.
Nutritional info per slice:
Saturated fat: 8.8g
Coca-Cola: A/W 2018 collection launches
March 2019 Drinks Digest: 5 awesome facts you didn’t know about
- Dry January tips: The mocktails that’ll see you over the finish line
- Put perfect on ice: How Diet Coke wants you to take a break from your expectations
- Katie Piper and Honest Kids team up to encourage families to ‘Pick your own picnic!’