The nation’s favourite tonic water teams up with expert to create cocktail to get people in the mood this Valentine’s Day.
To celebrate Valentine’s Day, Schweppes has unveiled the Cupid’s Mimosa – a cocktail that contains aphrodisiac qualities, and that, according to scientist Charles Michel, is guaranteed to delight the senses especially for the 14 February.
The cocktail combines popular ingredients like gin and white cacao liqueur, as well as Schweppes Tonic Water, aromatic cardamom pods, and finally rose petals – all of which make Cupid’s Mimosa the perfect accompaniment to any cocktail lover’s Valentine’s Day.
Scientist, Charles Michel, says, “This Valentine’s cocktail touches on many bliss points, starting with the psychoactive ingredients of gin and the cacao. This isn’t just things like the alcohol and methylxanthines such as theobromine and caffeine, but also anandamides –, a fatty acid neurotransmitter whose name comes from the Sanskrit word Ananda, meaning ‘joy’ or ‘delight’.
“Stirring in Schweppes Tonic Water then increases the effervescence of the drink; these bubbles stimulate receptors in our flavour senses, enhancing the pleasant intensity of the juniper and cardamom aromas in the drink. To top it off, the rose fragrance has psychological associations with sweetness, and romance, all of which makes for a perfect aphrodisiac cocktail to celebrate the 14 February.”
Liam Cotter, mixologist at Schweppes, says, “Schweppes has been expertly producing Tonic Water for over 200 years and has helped add a certain fizz to Valentine’s Day each year. The Cupid’s Mimosa is a cocktail that plays on the idea of love and seduction. Each element compliments one other, to create a moment of elation on the taste buds.
“Whether you are spending Valentine’s Day alone or with someone special, Schweppes Tonic Water is the perfect partner to your gin.”
The full Cupid’s Mimosa recipe can be found below, as well as two other Valentine’s Day cocktail recipes from Liam and Schweppes.
- ¾ 35ml – preferred gin
- ¾ 15ml – lemon juice
- ¾ 15ml – white cacao liqueur
- ¾ 35ml – White or rose Vermouth
- ¾ 35ml – Schweppes Tonic Water
- ¾ Garnished with cardamom pods, rose petals, lemon peel
- ¾ Serve in a balloon glass
Build gin, lemon juice, white cacao and white or rose vermouth in the base of the glass. Fill glass with cubed ice, stir and then top with Schweppes Tonic Water. Garnish with a slice of blood orange, a few cardamom pods, and a rose petal.
- ¾ 50ml – white rum
- ¾ 15ml – fresh pressed lemon juice
- ¾ 10ml – almond syrup (orgeat)
- ¾ Top up with Schweppes Ginger Ale
- ¾ Garnished with strawberries, mint sprigs & red currants
Build rum, lemon juice and almond syrup in the base of the glass. Fill glass with cubed ice, stir, then top with Schweppes Ginger Ale. Garnish with slice of strawberry, sprig of mint and a string of red currants.
Of Love & Botany
- ¾ 50ml – vodka
- ¾ 15ml – fresh pressed pink grapefruit juice
- ¾ Top up with Schweppes Tonic Water
- ¾ Garnished with star anise and lemon peel
Build vodka and grapefruit juice in the base of the glass. Fill glass with cubed ice and top with Schweppes Tonic Water. Garnish with a twist of lemon and a whole star anise.
 Schweppes is the #1 branded product for tonic water. Based on Nielsen volume and value MAT 01.10.16.
More Press Releases
- Schweppes creates the world’s first scientifically-designed perfect serve G&T glass
- Smartwater launches new sparkling fruit flavours range just in time for summer
Zero sugar, spice and all things nice!
Coca-ColaZero Sugar launches limited-edition cinnamon flavour
- Trick or Treat: welcome to the Fanta Feast of Fears
- Fuze Tea opens the UK’s first ever immersive ASMR sensory experience