LONDON, 06.03.13 –
The new actions are focused on the following three areas:
• Giving people simple and clear information about the calorie content of its drinks
• Encouraging people to get active and take part in regular physical exercise
• Continuing to offer people more choice in what they drink and raising awareness of low and no calorie alternatives
The first step involves the launch of a series of new adverts in the UK.
Tonight, a two minute video, titled “Coming Together”, will air on ITV and Channel 4. This video reminds viewers that all calories count in managing weight, including those in
It will be followed by a second spot, “Be OK”, which will air later in the evening. “Be OK” gives clear information on the number of calories in a can of
The videos form part of a global advertising campaign launched by The
The company also announced it was taking further action to implement the commitments made 11 months ago as part of the Department of Health’s Responsibility Deal Calorie Reduction Pledge, to which
• The launch of a new, reduced calorie Sprite in the UK from March 2013: this will contain 30% fewer calories and, instead of being added as a mid-calorie addition to the Sprite range, it will completely replace the current Sprite
• The announcement of a renewed three-year partnership with UK charity StreetGames, to 2015, which continues the company’s commitment to deliver a lasting legacy of grassroots sports participation following the London 2012 Olympic Games. Since 2010,
"Obesity is a serious problem and I am determined we will take more actions in Europe to help address it. The actions announced today build on our earlier efforts and are part of a long-term commitment." James Quincey, President Europe Group, The
The actions announced today build on
We are committed to providing fact-based nutrition information to help individuals understand and manage their energy balance. In simple terms, this is about giving people the information to make sensible choices. This includes consuming a variety of foods and beverages in moderation and ensuring individual nutrition needs are met, without exceeding the number of calories burned during the day.
Our commitment also includes marketing responsibly, encouraging physical activity and innovation to provide greater choice.
• Calorie Reduction Pledge: in March 2012, the
• Nutrition Labelling: since 2003 the
We are members of the Department of Health’s Responsibility Deal and are partners of the Food, Physical Activity and Workplace Wellbeing Networks.
a) Reducing calories:
• All of our major brands have a widely available no-calorie, zero sugar or low-calorie alternative
• More than one third of the drinks we sell in the UK are low- and no- calorie
• More than 40% of the
• Since 2007, we’ve reduced the calorie content of: Fanta Orange by 30%; Oasis by 35%; Lilt by 56%
• In November last year, we reduced the calories in Glaceau vitaminwater
• In March this year, we are introducing Sprite with Stevia in the UK, reducing the overall calorie content of regular Sprite by 30%
b) Providing greater choice
• We offer a wide range of single and multi-serve packs. In 2012, we added to this range with 375ml bottles of
• On all pack sizes above 330ml cans, we indicate clearly that a portion size is 250ml (a soft drinks industry standard)
Coca-Cola Great Britain uses the appeal of our company and brands to encourage people to become more active, more often. We do this through:
a) Our partnership with StreetGames, which reaches thousands of young people from the UK’s disadvantaged communities, getting them active and involved in sport on their doorsteps.
b) Our 35 year partnership with Special Olympics GB which provides year-round sports training and competition for intellectually disabled people.
c) As the longest continuous sponsor of the Olympic Movement, The
- ENDS -
For further information and to view the new ads, please go to www.coca-cola.co.uk/comingtogether
Alternatively, please contact
NOTE TO EDITORS:
Coca-Cola Great Britain is committed to developing innovative, responsible and sustainable initiatives that help protect the environment. Recently, the
For more information about
More Press Releases
- Schweppes is on hand to save parties that have gone flat this Christmas with emergency Mixer Hotline in Central London
From Miami to Ibiza
Coca-Colacelebrates summer with return of ground-breaking Share a Coke campaign
- New self-serving drinks mac is a festival essential
- The truth about social friendships: Brits count just 5% of their social media followers as ‘close’ friends
- Honest launches in the UK: New organic bottled herbal tea brand is #refreshinglyhonest