Coca-Cola Great Britain (CCGB) today announced the next step in its strategy to help people reduce their sugar intake – a new and improved sugar-free
The new drink is backed by CCGB’s biggest marketing investment in a new product launch for a decade and will feature TV, out of home, digital advertising and experiential. The multi-million pound marketing campaign will encourage consumers to try the new and improved
In addition to the new recipe and taste,
Today’s announcement is the latest in a series of actions taken by CCGB to promote moderation and choice and help people reduce their sugar and calorie intake. As a result of moves by manufacturers to change recipes, introduce smaller packs and invest more in marketing no sugar options, soft drinks is the only food and drink category from which the sugar purchased by British households is decreasing – by 13.6 per cent in the last five years.
Key actions CCGB has already taken include:
- Reformulation – developing new, lower and no sugar recipes like
Coca-ColaLife and Coca‑Cola Zero Sugar. This work began more than 30 years ago with the launch of no sugar Diet Coke, since then CCGB has reduced the sugar and calorie content of many of its brands, including Fanta, Sprite, Dr Pepper, Oasis, Lilt and Schweppes Lemonade (by at least 30 per cent for each drink). Between 2013 and 2015, CCGB’s reformulation programme has removed a total of 16,000 tonnes of sugar from the UK diet. In May, a new recipe for Coca‑Cola Life, with 45 per cent less sugar than regular colas, will be available in stores across Great Britain.
- Offering smaller portions – the 250ml can of
Coca-Colais already available in more than 13,000 stores nationwide with distribution increasing.
- Promoting clear information – all of CCGB’s bottles and cans display the Government’s voluntary colour-coded nutrition labels on the front. CCGB remains one of a handful of major manufacturers to have adopted this new labelling scheme.
- Marketing – under its new global One Brand strategy launched in January this year, CCGB continues to invest more of its marketing budget in the lower and no sugar variants of
Coca-Cola. Currently, 43 per cent of Coca-Colasold in the UK is lower or no sugar and the new marketing strategy is designed to increase this figure to more than 50 per cent by 2020.
Coca-Cola Zero Sugar will be available across Great Britain from the end of June.
For more information:
020 8237 3424
About Coca-Cola Great Britain:
Coca-Cola Great Britain is responsible for marketing 18 brands and over 82 products to consumers across Great Britain. Led by Coca-Cola, one of the world's most valuable and recognisable brands, our company portfolio includes Fanta, Sprite, Dr Pepper, Oasis, glaceau vitaminwater, glaceau smartwater, Schweppes, 5 Alive, Lilt, Kia Ora and Powerade.
For more information about Coca-Cola in Great Britain, please visit our website at www.coca-cola.co.uk.
More Press Releases
- HONEST® Kids reveals over a FIFTH of UK children don’t know that APPLES grow on TREES
Life just got peachy!
Coca-Colabrings Coca-ColaZero Sugar Peach to UK shores
- GLACÉAU Smartwater unveils supermodel Jourdan Dunn as the new face of the brand
- Coca-Cola in Western Europe sets ambitious new sustainability commitments on drinks, packaging and society
Holidays are Coming, as
Coca-Colareveals 2018 Christmas Truck tour dates