In my role as Chief Sustainability Officer of The
During a recent trip to China, I had the opportunity to immerse myself in our ongoing sustainability work and saw the impact our system is making firsthand. Great work is underway in China – and many other countries – through golden triangle partnerships (partnerships between business, government and civil society).
Our journey to see this work in China started outside the thriving metropolis of Changsha. We arrived at the Happy Farmhouse in Qingtian-Zhai. There, we are jointly working with World Wildlife Fund (WWF), our bottling partner and local governments to construct wetlands for purifying wastewater to reduce the impacts of pollution generated by ecotourism. We rolled up our sleeves and planted beneficial vegetation for the wetland. There may have been a little friendly competition to see who could finish first (eh hem, my team won!).
After cleaning up, we traveled to the company’s first sustainable tea pilot located at the Jinjing Tea Company estate (JTE), a private company of Hunan Tea Group (HTG) and tea supplier for
• With UNDP (United Nations Development Project) and several other critical partners, we’re working on the Haihe River Basin Flood Utilisation Demonstration Project near Beijing to replenish an average of 10 billion liters of water to the Dahuangpuwa flood retention areas every year.
• On Orange Island, our Happiness Movement has organised 397 community walks and 126 health lectures in more than 60 cities across China, with more than 1.4 million participants to date.
• In the Liuyang River-Xiang River-Dongting Lake Basin, we are ensuring safe drinking water for 5 million people through the protection of 200,000 hectares of wetlands.
Overall, we have made tremendous sustainability progress in this important region thanks to our dedication and that of our partners. While in China, I saw meaningful change but I also realise how much more is possible. Real transformation and results mandate that all of us work together for lasting change. We need more cross-sector partnerships joining the sustainability journey. If you seek inspiration, I recommend getting your feet on the ground.
More on Journey
- Our water wakeup call…what will be yours?
- Behind the headlines: here’s what we really think about packaging, litter and recycling
- A summer of fun: How ParkLives is enriching lives
- Plan It Day: 24 hours to change the world
- Our plan to recover and recycle every single can and bottle the Coca Cola system sell