The Coca Cola Company has had a global partnership with the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) for almost a decade, and it's just expanded that with seven new ambitious goals to reach by 2020. Take a look below:
1. Improve water efficiency by 25 per cent (from a 2010 baseline)
Water is the main ingredient in our products and key for our manufacturing process. From 2004 to 2012 we improved the efficiency of our water usage by 21.4 per cent – and we want to go even further with our new target.
2. Look after freshwater systems
Our joint freshwater conservation project covers 11 regions across six continents.
3. Reduce carbon emissions of the drink in your hand by 25 per cent
Globally we’re working to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by a quarter from a 2010 baseline. We will lower our carbon footprint in all areas of our production chain, from ingredient-sourcing to refrigeration.
4. Responsibly source material for PlantBottle™ packaging
We’ll keep assessing the suitability of plant sources for our packaging. We’re aiming to use up to 30 per cent plant-based materials in all our plastic bottles by 2020.
5. Source our key ingredients sustainably
We have established a set of guiding principles for sustainable farming and now we’re working with WWF to make sure those guidelines are implemented across the world – for sourcing sugarcane, sugar beet, palm oil, paper fibre, tea, coffee and oranges.
On top of our joint targets with WWF, we’ve also established two more goals:
6. Replenish 100 per cent of the water we use
After using water for manufacturing, we will return it, treated, to the environment. To replenish the water we use in our drinks, we will continue our community water projects in more than 100 countries.
Find out how we are improving the health of two of England's unique chalk streams.
7. Recover 75 per cent of bottles and cans in developed markets
We work with local organisations and the drinks industry to increase recycling in developed markets.
- Coca-Cola fun facts
- Designated Driver: Saying thanks to the unsung heroes of the Christmas party season with a free second soft drink - on us!
5 reasons to visit the new
Coca-ColaStore in Orlando at Disney Springs
Christmas gifts that give back: Shop the
Coca-Cola5by20 artisan collection
- Infographic: 6 incredible facts about the work FareShare are doing to fight hunger and food waste across the UK