Lucky music fans in Romania are hitting some of the summer’s biggest concerts thanks to the latest packaging innovation from Coca-Cola.
Coca-Cola Romania and McCann Bucharest developed detachable Coca-Cola labels that double as music festival wristbands for some of the country's hottest music events, including Transylvania's Untold. Fans scan a promotional barcode on the label with a smartphone app to see if their bottle is a valid ticket.
Coke’s Packaging R&D team had been kicking around the concept of a label wristband for a few years, but the project gained momentum when Marco Beggiora, packaging manager for Coca-Cola Central and Eastern Europe, requested support for festival promotions in Romania.
Working closely with the engineering and operations teams at the local bottler, CCHBC Romania, and label supplier, Rodata, the team led quickly agreed on a printing method and conversion techniques, drawing learnings from Coke's award-winning Bow Label project.
“When I tried on the first sample for a quality check, the wristband stayed on for over three weeks in which time I ran the equivalent of nearly two marathons and travelled to Japan for a business trip,” Bentley says.
The wristband labels have reached 75 percent of teens in Romania, and the promotion has caught the attention of international marketing media outlets including AdWeek, Mashable and Trend Hunter. Coca-Cola Romania is developing a toolkit to scale the concept to other country teams.
- Star-studded Coca-Cola Beach Club kicks off #CokeSummer competition
- Coca-Cola leaders give shareowners view of company’s next chapter
- Coca-Cola Testing Augmented Reality for Bottling Equipment Maintenance and More
- Five BFFs and a 5-star London hotel: The Ultimate Penthouse Stay-cation with Diet Coke
- The Iconic Share A Coke Campaign is Back: And This Time It's Going on Holiday