Makes: 10 slices
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: about 1¼ hours
- 300ml Diet Coke
- 225g dried pitted dates, roughly chopped
- 5ml (1 tsp) bicarbonate of soda
- 50g dried sour cherries
- 50g dried cranberries
- 60ml (4 tbsp) honey
- 250g self-raising flour
- 10ml (2 tsp) ground mixed spice
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- 75g pecans or walnuts, chopped
- Grease and base line a 900g loaf tin and preheat the oven to 180ºC, gas mark 4.
- Heat the Diet Coke in a medium pan until boiling. Remove from heat and stir in dates, bicarbonate of soda, then stir in the cherries, cranberries and honey. Mix well and allow to cool.
- Sift the flour with the spices, then add to the cooled date mixture. Stir in the eggs and nuts. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 1-1¼ hours, or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean, covering with foil if the cake becomes too brown.
- Leave to cool in the tin. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Nutritional info per slice:
Saturated fat: 0.9g
If you like this, check out our Diet Coke chocolate cake!
- Aspartame: Separating fact from fiction
- See how Coke Studio is bringing music to deaf fans in Pakistan
- 5 ways we’re helping you enjoy less sugar
- Promotion: Create the perfect pout with Diet Coke and L’Oréal Color Riche lipstick offer at Boots
- 'Just Dance'… to ‘Taste the Feeling’: Coke and Ubisoft launch community remix of global anthem