Coca‑Cola Boosts Coaches To Get An Expected 22,000 People Swimming
Coca-Cola Great Britain is supporting the training of over 120 new swimming teachers and coaches as part of its commitment to get people active on the road to 2012.
The announcement follows on from the success of the company's 'Schweppes Abbey Well' 'Schwim Free' campaign. The scheme enables consumers to enjoy a free swim by exchanging promotional 'Schweppes Abbey Well' bottle tops at participating pools in England, Scotland and Wales. In the first year over 47,000 swims were redeemed.
When the scheme was launched in March 2009, Coca-Cola committed to make a donation to projects to get Britain swimming, and has now donated £50,000 to The Swimming Trust (TST). The money will be used for a Teacher Coach Education Grant Fund offering training opportunities for volunteers within Swimming, Diving, Synchronised Swimming and Water Polo clubs across the UK.
On average a swimming teacher provides 288 hours of instruction per year giving a quality, structured swimming experience to around 190 people. So this donation will see some 22,000 people learning to swim and participating regularly as result of Coca-Cola's funding.
Jon Woods, Country Manager, Coca-Cola UK and Ireland said: "We're delighted to donate this money to help even more people get active on the road to 2012. Almost 50,000 took part in the first year of the scheme and we hope this year will be even bigger and better with 440 pools signed up, including 90 across London."
Dennis Yeoman Chairman of The Swimming Trust said: "With the help of Schweppes Abbey Well's 'Getting Britain Sch...wimming' campaign The Trust will be able to increase the number of quality trained swimming teachers and coaches, giving more people the opportunity to learn a fundamental life skill that will help them stay active throughout their lives."
Coca-Cola Great Britain launched 'Schweppes Abbey Well', a new natural mineral water for British consumers, following its acquisition of the 'Abbey Well' water source in November 2008.
The Coca-Cola Company is a Worldwide Partner of the International Olympic Committee and partner of the London 2012 Olympic Games. With over 80 years experience working with the International Olympic Movement, The Coca-Cola Company has a strong commitment to the Olympic values and is proud to be supporting London 2012.
For more information please contact:
Coca-Cola press office
Tel: + 44 (0)20 8237 3782
Notes to Editors
- This funding is the second phase of Coca-Cola's 'Getting Britain Sch...wimming' campaign which is run through the company's Schweppes Abbey Well natural mineral water brand.
- 47,000 free swims were redeemed last year and the 2010 'Free Sch...wim' scheme is even bigger and better with 440 pools across the country signed up, including 90 in London. People can search for their nearest participating pool using the simple Google maps application at www.SchwimFree.co.uk
- Additionally, as part of a commitment to constantly improve the environmental sustainability of 'Schweppes Abbey Well', in 2010 the brand will introduce 25% recycled PET content in all bottles, as well as reducing the bottle weight by 16%.
- Applications for Swimming Trust grants are available to swimming clubs and their volunteers by contacting their regional Coaching Systems Officer
- o North West - Jenny Baxter E: firstname.lastname@example.org
- o North East & Yorkshire - Fiorna Cairns-Smith E: email@example.com
South West & South East - Kelly Gaffney E: firstname.lastname@example.org
- o East and East Midlands - Helen Hiley E:email@example.com
- o London - Sarah Beevers E: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Coca-Cola Company is the world's largest beverage company, refreshing consumers with nearly 500 sparkling and still brands. Along with Coca-Cola, recognized as the world's most valuable brand, the Company's portfolio includes 12 other billion-dollar brands, including Diet Coke, Fanta, Sprite, Coca-Cola Zero, Glaceau vitaminwater, Powerade, Minute Maid and Georgia Coffee. Globally, we are the No. 1 provider of sparkling beverages, juices and juice drinks and ready-to-drink teas and coffees. Through the world's largest beverage distribution system, consumers in more than 200 countries enjoy the Company's beverages at a rate of nearly 1.6 billion servings a day. With an enduring commitment to building sustainable communities, our Company is focused on initiatives that protect the environment, conserve resources and enhance the economic development of the communities where we operate. For more information about our Company, please visit our website at www.thecoca-colacompany.com.