It was July 2012 and all eyes turned to London for the Olympic and Paralympic Games. And we didn’t disappoint. Everyone came together – athletes, volunteers, cheering spectators – to put on the greatest show on Earth.
But London 2012 was more than just those few weeks that captured the world’s attention. Back before the Olympic Park was even a sketch on paper, the London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (LOCOG) set ambitious targets to ensure that London 2012 was a fully sustainable event, and as a Worldwide Partner of the Olympic Movement, we played a key role in helping to deliver that vision.
Our sustainability goals were about leaving a legacy of improved sustainable living in Great Britain for consumers, suppliers and
HEALTH AND WELLNESS
Our aim was to offer the widest range of drinks we have offered at any Olympic Games, and we achieved that with a choice of 19 drinks, including water, juice and low/no-sugar variants.
StreetGames Athlete Bursaries
We provided professional athletes with bursaries to get involved with and support community sports at a grassroots level.
REDUCE AND COMPENSATE FOR OUR CARBON EMISSIONS
Cutting our Carbon Footprint
Here are the highlights of how we reduced our environmental impact throughout London 2012, and how that has set us up for the future.
• Download Our London 2012 Carbon Footprint
HELP TO DELIVER A ZERO-WASTE GAMES
Introducing PlantBottle ™
We hit our target of having all
Get the lowdown on our recyclable packaging and the recycle zones that were rolled out at the Games and across Great Britain.
DO MORE AND GO FURTHER WHERE
StreetGames Work Experience
We offered young people involved with StreetGames the chance to do paid work experience with our operations team at the Games. Meet the team!
The One Planet Centre
Athletes are inspirational role models. To empower them to be ambassadors for sustainability, we supported The One Planet Centre, a hub about a sustainable future at the heart of the Olympic Village.
• Download London 2012: The One Planet Centre
Supporting Others Towards a Sustainable Future
Our sustainability goals for London 2012 were carried right through our supply chain and created a model for future event sponsors to measure and improve their social impact. Find out more.
• Think tank Demos worked with
An External Perspective
The head of sustainability at LOCOG and the chief executive of WWF give their insight into making London 2012 fully sustainable.
- Creating the new Fanta bottle: The story of taking ‘impossible’ designs from drawing board to supermarket shelves
- ParkLives makes a splash in Nottingham with open water swimming sessions
- Project Last Mile Expands to Strengthen Health Systems in Liberia and Swaziland
- The Iconic Share A Coke Campaign is Back: And This Time It's Going on Holiday
- ‘It’s Mind-Blowing that We’re Making such a Difference to Young People’s Futures’: Aberdeen Non-Profit Earns Community Award