London, 24 March 2012:
It is the latest action
Enabling consumers to choose a low calorie, zero sugar drink has long been a key focus for CCGB and one which has resulted in all major brands it produces now having a widely available no calorie, zero sugar or low calorie alternative.
In the past few years alone, CCGB has reduced the calorie content of several of its best known brands – namely Fanta by 30%, Oasis by 35% and Lilt by 56%. Now more than one third of the drinks CCGB sells in the UK are no calorie, zero sugar or low calorie, and more than 40% of the colas it sells are no calorie, zero sugar, being either Diet Coke or
To achieve today’s pledge to cut the average calories per litre of its range of sparkling soft drinks by 5%, the company will take the following actions:
- Invest £15 million in the reformulation of several of its leading soft drinks brands by 2014.
- Reduce the calories in the brands it reformulates by at least 30%, while retaining the great taste consumers demand*
Increase promotion of our no calorie, zero sugar colas:
- Increase the marketing budget for its no calorie, zero sugar colas (Diet Coke and
Coca-ColaZero) by 25% by the end of 2014
- Work with retailers to increase the availability of its no calorie, zero sugar colas (Diet Coke and
Coca-ColaZero) where those drinks are currently limited
- Offer its widest ever range of drinks at London 2012: it expects that 75% of the drinks it sells at London 2012 will be water, juice or low or zero calorie drinks
Coca-Cola Great Britain recognises that Government, businesses and consumers need to work together if Britain is to become healthier. Today’s announcement builds on the company’s commitment to play an important role by offering a broader choice of drinks for its consumers, helping people make informed choices and encouraging active lifestyles.
An initial signatory when the Deal was launched in March 2011,
¹TCCC Internal Sales System (Compass full Year 2011)
For more information, please contact:
Notes to Editors
*Further details on which brands will be reformulated will be announced in due course. However,
**A full list of CCGB’s Responsibility Deal commitments can be found at http://www.coca-cola.co.uk/health/responsibility-deal/
Our business in Great Britain is made up of two separate companies that manufacture, distribute and market our range of drinks: